Friday, February 19, 2016

Wooster Square Cooper's Hawk Winter 2016

Bird Feeders = Cooper's Hawks!

Lot's of Hawks now patrol many urban areas. The comeback of the predator birds, hawks, eagles and ospreys is really quite amazing. In my 35 years here in the Nutmeg State, you can't help but notice the increase. In fact, just this winter Eagles are nesting in the West River area of New Haven, in addition to our many eagles in the preserve on the New Haven Hamden line.

Coming home from the gym on foot, I came across a large bird by the sidewalk near my home. At first I thought it was an ornament on a lawn. Then it took off and flew into a tree across from our Coop. 

I ran in to get my camera, set it up and went back out. To my luck, still sitting in a tree about eye level to me.

I started firing away!

A medium sized hawk that only hunts birds


He wasn't interested much in me.

But did give me a look.

Focused




Then a few days later, Cheryl was going out the door for an appointment and I was in my office. She whispered BART as loud as possible.

I knew exactly what she meant....photo opportunity!

Oh boy, what a show we had!

Warning: The following are photos of a blue jay that ends up let's say, gross. They are not for the feint of heart, nor to be enjoyed with a meal. 















Don't forget to sign up for email, or follow 
me on twitter for the latest and best
of 
Urban Birding!


Birds Rule!













No comments:

Post a Comment